Family Law

Houston Family Law Modifications Attorney

Because families grow and change, judgments can be modified to suit you and your loved ones’ current needs. Getting a modification is not always easy, however. Having an experienced lawyer in your corner is important.We at the Law Office of Dan Kirby in Houston will bring our comprehensive family law experience to help you efficiently and effectively address any modification issue. Because our attorney works directly with clients, we are able to quickly understand the needs and goals of each family and develop an ideal course of action.

We encourage you to get in touch as soon as possible. Call our office in Houston at 713-681-1300.

Helping You Change Your Parenting Plan

If you need to modify custody (conservatorship) and/or visitation, you can petition the court. The court will look at the current arrangement to determine if it is in the best interests of the children. If the circumstances have changed materially and substantially, the court may grant a modification. The court will consider the following issues:

  • Changes in the needs of the child
  • Child abuse
  • Child neglect
  • Not showing up for visitation
  • Illness or disability of a parent
  • Not abiding by the other parent’s rights to visitation
  • Drug or alcohol problems of a parent
  • Domestic violence
  • Moving out of the state with the child
  • Moving outside of the geographical parameters set by the court
  • The level of care a parent is able to provide

Additionally, job changes, economic changes or changes in the family may require a relocation. The court may grant a relocation request. However, if the other parent does not agree, the parent wanting to relocate must file a modification petition and seek court authorization. A relocation must be in the best interest of the child.

Special urgent circumstances are required if a parent seeks to modify an order that was created less than one year after being rendered by a court or as a result of a mediated settlement agreement. Attorney Dan Kirby will help you determine whether the situation is appropriate for an urgent modification.

Changing Economic Circumstances Can Affect Child And Spousal Support

Likewise, it is possible to obtain a modification of child support. In order to request a child support modification for a prior order or decree that was rendered less than three years earlier, a parent must demonstrate a material and substantial change in his or her life. This may include:

  • Loss of a job or being demoted
  • Obtaining a new job or getting a promotion
  • A change in custody
  • A change in the visitation schedule

For final orders or decrees rendered more than three years earlier, it is not necessary to show a material or substantial change in circumstances. You need to only show that the child support amount will differ by either 20% or $100 based in changed income of the Obligor.

Similarly, modification of spousal maintenance follows the criteria of material and substantial changes.

Contact The Law Office Of Dan Kirby

To reach out and schedule an initial consultation with our Houston modifications lawyer, call 713-681-1300 or email the firm. We are ready to put our resources and skills to use for you to help you achieve an arrangement that meets your changing needs.